Gravity Forms has long been a staple of my WordPress development toolkit, and over the years I’ve created custom field types and extended the plugin to do lots of interesting things.
Today I’m happy to share the release of the plugin UK Postcode Lookup for Gravity Forms, which extends the standard Gravity Forms address field to integrate the GetAddress.io postcode lookup service.
With the plugin activated, and your GetAddress.io API key in place*, your visitors can enter their postcode and select their address from a dropdown list of suggestions instead of moving from field to field and manually typing in their details.
*use of this plugin requires an active GetAddress.io subscription.
Single Site License
£19.99 per year
You may download and use the plugin on a single WordPress installation, and access plugin updates and support by email for the duration of your subscription.
Five Site License
£49.99 per year
You may download and use the plugin on up to five WordPress installations, and access plugin updates and support by email for the duration of your subscription.
Installation & Use
- Upload and activate the UK Postcode Lookup for Gravity Forms plugin.
- Enter your GetAddress.io API Key, and plugin license key on the Forms > Settings > UK Postcode Lookup page.
- Edit your form, select your address field, and check “Enable UK Postcode Lookup” under General Settings.
It’s important to note that this plugin works with Gravity Forms’ built-in Address field. If your form is set up differently and uses separate text input fields to make up the address, for example, then you’ll need to rework your form to utilise this plugin properly.
While this plugin is stable and ready to use, it is still under active development and I have a couple of ideas about how I would like to improve it in the future. All updates will be rolled out to existing users and will appear as a plugin update in the WordPress dashboard. These include:
- Adding a panel inside the WordPress dashboard which shows the number of GetAddress.io lookups made, and the number remaining from your monthly allowance.
- Caching postcode lookups and address results to save on GetAddress.io credits.
- Refactoring of the script and stylesheet loader so they only happen when the UK Postcode Lookup plugin is enabled, rather than being applied to all address fields.